Friday, November 16, 2007

What it Takes to Succeed

As I enter my 30th year of ministry in the same location the question that seems to surface most is "how did you do that?" First off, you need to know that I did not set out to spend 30 years in ministry. I came into ministry for a one year trial. One year turned to two, two years turned to three....well you get it. I sit today entering 30 years of pastoral ministry in the same church in the same town! And in many ways I feel the same today on day 10,950 as I did on day one; inadequate, unprepared and out of my league.



In the book Red Moon Rising, the authors use a quote that says " a long obedience in the same direction". It would be great if I could say to you that my journey has been just that, obedient, in every way, on every day, to every word, in every situation. But my life has not been even close to that. What I can say is this. My life has been characterized by a " trying to be obedient, almost was obedient, on a few good days I have been obedient, sometimes I have been obedient, a kind of obedience if there is such a thing, in the same direction. The same direction is there. I love Jesus. But I really mess up. The direction is OK...it's the obedience that poses the problem.

No comments: